Everyone in the harness racing industry has an opinion on the pros and cons of most runners contesting the Harness Jewels races at Cambridge this weekend so we here at Harnesslink thought we would put our two cents worth into the mix.
Not only will the best in the country compete for over $1.2 Million in prize money but punters will also get their chance to win big with several big betting pools available on this year's Harness Racing Jewels Day at Cambridge.
Today we will look at the three 3yo divisions, that is the 3yo Emerald, the 3yo Diamond and the 3yo Ruby.
THE EMERALD - THREE YEAR OLD PACING COLTS AND GELDINGS
1) PEPE BROMAC - (c, by Mach Three - Pascale Bromac - Holmes Hanover) Has looked promising in his brief career to date but several here look better. It is hard to see in him in the first four.
2) ISAIAH - (c, by Art Major - EJ Becks - In The Pocket) In unbelievable form in his last few, especially his win three back over 1,950 metres in a 1:54.6 mile rate. With his great draw and his high gate speed it is very hard to see him beaten.
3) TIGER TARA - (c, by Bettor's Delight - Tara Gold - Dream Away) Has had a great season but just seems to have tapered off a touch lately. From the draw he is the biggest danger to Isaiah.
4) EARTHBOUND - (g, by Elsu - Move Heaven Andearth - Christian Cullen) Has won five from fifteen but all in the Central Districts and he faces a huge jump in class here. Not for us.
5) NO DOCTOR NEEDED - (c, by Mach Three - Molly Darling - Christian Cullen) The find of the later part of the season in the south. Has blistering speed but drawing outside of the favoured duo makes his task a hard one. First four chance.
6) ALLELUIA - (g, by Art Major - Shy Annie - Village Jasper) Burst onto the scene early in the season but he has not really fulfilled his early promise. He has been thereabouts in all the major races without threatening to win one. He is a first four contender.
7) REGULUS - (g, by Mach Three - Hunter Franco - Sokys Atom) A high speed horse who has won six but wide draw makes it hard in our opinion. A great driver gives him a first four chance.
8) MESSINI - (c, by Art Major - Mesmerizing - Sir Vancelot) Super consistent all season and if he had drawn well would have been a major player. He was a great fourth to Isaiah, beaten less than a length just prior to the Derby in a dazzling 1:54.6 mile rate. First four contender.
9) IDEAL SUCCESS - (g, by American Ideal - Maheer Glen - Holmes Hanover) Nice colt who has won three this year but thrown in the deep end here. Not for us.
10) JANGO FETT - (c, by Western Ideal - Regina Coeli - Christian Cullen) Looked very promising earlier in the season winning at Addington in a 1:55.7 mile rate for 1,950 metres but not the same horse since nasty fall in Southern Supremacy Final. Not fancied.
11) CYCLONE PRINCE - (c, by Mach Three - Eyre To The Throne - Presidential Ball) Nice last start winner but he has struggled at this level all season. It is hard to see in first four unless he lifts big time.
12) FRANCO SALISBURY - (g, by Lis Mara - Sally Franco - Badlands Hanover) Nice horse but way out of his comfort zone here if he does get a start. Not for us.
13) THOMAS McBRIDE - (g, by Extreme Three - Xinran - Badlands Hanover) Looked quite promising earlier in the season but form has tapered off badly and that coupled with his draw makes this way too hard.
14) SKY MAJOR - (c, by Art Major - Sky Beauty - In The Pocket) Would have been a "Major" player if he had only drawn well but has his work cut out from here. He has only won two from 14 this season so from draw place chances look best.
ISAIAH looks the one they all have to beat here. No matter how many different ways you look at this race he still appears the logical winner. So in our view the fight is only for the minor places. Tiger Tara, No Doctor Needed, Alleluia, Messini and Sky Major look the five with the credentials to fill the spots behind Isaiah.
THE DIAMOND – THREE YEAR OLD PACING FILLIES
1) ROYAL COUNSEL - (f, by Gotta Go Cullect - Seabreeze Franco - Holmes Hanover) Very tough filly who won the Southland Oaks in a 1:56.6 mile rate for 2,200 metres. Not super quick off the gate but if she can hold her position early, she becomes a great place prospect.
2) COUGAR BROMAC - (f, by Art Major - Congo Breeze - Holmes Hanover) Nice filly who has won six races but they have all been in the Central Districts and none against a field of this class. Not for us.
3) MILLIE SAMPSON - (f, by Bettor's delight - Cullen's Creation - Christian Cullen) Emergency who is unlucky to have missed the final. Looked special earlier in the season and last start sixth in the New Zealand Oaks was okay. A place chance if she makes it back into the field.
4) SNOOKI - (f, by Bettor's Delight - Offagain - Soky's Atom) Very game and honest filly whose only real failure to date was in the Great Northern Oaks. It is hard to see her winning the race but a definite first four chance.
5) IDEAL BELLE - (f, by American Ideal - Blistering Belle - Butler BG) Has really stepped up lately and from the draw looks the one they have to beat. Still has a trick or two having galloped twice in the fillies’ features this season so no certainty.
6) SHEATHEREALDEAL - (f, by American Ideal - Blazing Spirit - Holmes Hanover) Has won five races this season but again they have all been in the Central Districts and in fields lacking the class of this race. Not for us.
7) ROCKNROLL ARDEN - (f, by Rocknroll Hanover - Winter Rose - In The Pocket) Lovely filly who has been thereabouts in all the big fillies’ features this season. It is hard to see her winning from the draw but a major first four player.
8) CHARLESTON BELLE - (f, by Christian Cullen - Elite Belle - Presidential Ball) Has real gate speed but the wide draw here negates that. Would have been a first four contender from a good draw but hard to have from out there.
9) RAKSDEAL - (f, by Western Ideal - Raksplace - Artsplace) This is the worst possible draw for this super tough free going filly. Good enough to win this from a front row draw. Needs to be out and running to maximise her talents and this draw makes that highly unlikely.
10) ROCKN RUBY - (f, by Mach Three - Doug's Choice - Soky's Atom) Good third in the Great Northern Oaks against most of these which she followed up with two smart wins and then spelled. Hasn't been as sharp since her return with her last run the worst she has gone all season. Place chance at huge odds.
11) SAHARAZONA - (f, by Ohoka Arizona - Sahara Starlight - Jeremy's Gambit) Should get an award for most appearances this season, but form has tapered off badly in the later part of the season. Not for us.
12) LANCEWOOD LIZZIE - (f, by Bettor's Delight - Kamwood Elsie - Falcon Seelster) Looked above average earlier in the season before failing badly in the Great Northern Oaks. Since transferred to Barry Purdon, where she has thrived, winning two from two. I cannot see her winning from the draw but a definite first four player.
13) VENUS SERENA - (f, by Mach Three - Inspiring Dash - Falcon Seelster) Absolute super star who has over raced in her last couple. Her trainer is confident that he has fixed the problem. Has a four to one advantage head to head over Ideal Belle and at her very best would win, even from her bad draw.
14) TE AMO BROMAC - (f, by Mach Three - Tandias Courage - Stoneridge Scooter) Really at the top of her game at the moment but the draw gives her few options. She is still a serious first four player even from this draw.
Ideal Belle looks the logical choice from her great draw but we still favour Venus Serena, even though she has drawn so wide on the second line. She has over-raced in her last couple but her trainer is confident he has the problem sorted. At her very best she would win this. Ideal Belle is obviously a massive win chance even if the real Venus Serena turns up. Any two of Royal Counsel, Snooki, Rocknroll Arden, Lancewood Lizzie and Te Amo Bromac should round out the first four.
THE RUBY – THREE YEAR OLD TROTTERS
1) PHILL'S FOLLY - (g, by Great Success - Zesty - Gee Whiz 11) Won a couple in the deep South but this looks way to hard even from the ace draw. Not for us.
2) MONSEIGNEUR - (g, by Sundon - Duchess Of Whiz - Gee Whiz 11) Emergency who has only placed once from ten starts. No
3) TROUBLE RIEU - (c, by Great Success - Cong Chua Rieu - Sundon) Has gate speed so should get good run from the draw. Can't see him winning but he could sneak a first four placing.
4) MUM'S PRIDE - (g, by Monarchy - Teachers Pride - Evander's Gold) The find of the latter half of the season. First race left handed is a small question mark. Draw and manners make a serious contender.
5) KING KENNY - (g, by Majestic Son - A Touch Of Sun - Simon Roydon) He has had his issues lately but you wouldn't know it looking at his form. Stable a lot happier with him lately and he trialled super last weekend. The horse they all have to beat.
6) I'MNOTQUITESURE - (g, by Quite Easy - Wheresmemum - Muscles Yankee) One placing from just three starts makes this mission impossible. No
7) MAJESTIC TIME - (f, Majestic Son - Time To Shine - Sundon) Forget her last run as she didn't handle the Auckland way round. Has blinding speed and the mile distance is right up her alley.
8) ALL ROYAL GAL - (f, by Monarchy - Roydon Action - Sundon) Nice filly but appears to have gone right off the boil lately. Not fancied.
9) ONE OVER DA MOON - (c, by Majestic Son - One Over Kenny - Sundon) The enigma of this field. Can win this race but the draw has seriously dented his chances. He has only recently come off the unruly so one on the second line is not ideal. No doubting the ability, just the ring craft.
10) SIR GEORGE GREY - (g, by Monkey Bones - Georgeina - Sundon) Has won five so deserves respect but a few just look better at this stage. He is an outsider for first four combinations.
11) K D MUSCLES - (f, by Muscle Mass - Kazzle Dazzle - Armbro Invasion) Even allowing for her last start second, she is not going as well as she was three months ago and it's hard to see her featuring from this draw.
12) DAVEY'S BROTHER - (g, by Sundon - Jasmyn's Sister - Holdonmyheart) Nice horse long term but not against these and not over a mile. Not fancied.
13) DJOKOVIC - (g, by Sundon - Lovinski - Earl) Likes to run along in front so draw a major handicap and just a notch below the top ones. Not for us
14) HANOVERDAKASH - (f, by Monarchy - Amanda's Gem - Sundon) Nice filly but not in this field and not from this draw. Not fancied.
To us this looks like a two horse war. King Kenny has won both Derbies this season. He has had the chiropractor working on him recently and trialled super last weekend. He is definitely the one to beat. The big danger has to be Majestic Time who has blinding speed and is a noted miler. There are only two other horses capable of toppling the favoured duo and they are Mum's Pride and One Over Da Moon. Both are more than capable of upsetting but probably need a touch of luck as well.