Tomorrow's (Tuesday) harness racing meeting of the New Zealand Metropolitan Trotting Club has officially been abandoned. The heavy snowfall that has hit Canterbury over the past 24 hours has forced club officials to abandon the meeting. "The track itself is under around a foot of snow and we don't have the sort of equipment required to be able to shift it should it not subside.
Chances are if the weather picked up it may have even been gone by the time the meeting was due to start, but we can't expect the trainers, drivers or the connections to wait around for that to happen so we've pulled the pin," said Addington Raceway CEO Shane Gloury.
Nominations have now been left open until 1pm tomorrow for Friday night's meeting, with the addition of two Tuesday type stake races also being added. "Brian Rabbit (Club Secretary) has added two additional races to the programme, both 1950m mobile events for $3000, one for non winners and one for 1 win horses both 4yo and older. That should better accommodate some of those horses who have lost opportunities from the cancellation. We've programmed Tuesday meetings for the next five out of six weeks and there's plenty of Friday night racing as well," Gloury confirmed.
Snow was still falling throughout many parts of Canterbury shortly after Harnesslink spoke to Shane Gloury.