Easter weekend features family and friends getting together in celebration and at OTB there are many things to celebrate. This weekend fish fest comes to an end, the Illinois Derby (for you tbred players), the Masters, five Road to the Derby races, the first weekend of baseball season and of course, Balmoral Park harness racing.
So if you have family members in from out of town, what better way to show them a good time then at your local OTB?
The third race on Saturdays card highlights a six horse field going to the gate for a purse of $5,100. The one, Kennans Shawn looked good last week and should benefit from the rail. To the outside is The Janitor who has paced well of late, along with McLock. My choice however, will be the five, Rocket Dog. Rocket Dog broke in the slop last week allowing Kennans Shawn and McClock to run one two. Rocket Dog was favored in that contest and with road troubles last week and the top two in last weeks contest in this race, maybe we'll get a price. $50 on Rocket Dog to win.
The eighth race looks to be one of the better wagering contests on the card, so we'll take a chance. These pacers are racing for a tag of $25,000 and a purse of $10,700. Western Delight has been a beaten chalk its last two contests and will probably need some pace and cover to get in the winners circle. Black Bingo almost lasted last week in the slop, Bingos speed should be respected . I will be putting $50 on Winslow Hustler to cross the line first in this one. First Hustler drew well and is coming off of a claim for a successful team with that condition. Hustler does lose Dave Magee in the bike for Sam Widger, regardless, I'll go with Winslow Hustler as the post position (1) helps Sam get it done.
In the FFA contest, we prevailed last week with, maybe too much to ask to get it done again in this one, but did draw well. A case can be made for all who entered. Chief Red Cloud got a needed week off, I Believe its True has won four in a row and now tries the mile surface, Blue Apache has been consistently in the money at this level, Brown Bottle Flu is consistent when right, etc….. My choice will be the two My Boy David. David returns to Illinois off big miles at the Meadowlands to reach $900k in career earnings. Ryan Anderson is also in the bike, choosing David over his fathers trained entry, and winner in last weeks FFA – . $100 says My Boy David returns and wins this Saturday.
With all the great stuff happening this weekend at OTB, how can someone not GET LUCKY…HAVE FUN…and WIN MONEY.
Balmoral Park Betting News
Balmoral Saturday, April 7th
8- Grand Freedom… Powerful maiden winner should be able to handle the class hike.
- Johns My Buddy… Nice horse. Barn has hit a lull but can bounce back anytime now.
- Oughta Be Naughty… Big improvement in last. May get the jump on his main rivals.
- Johnny B Cool N… Having a tough time getting jump-started lately. In the hunt.
5- Busters Luck… Big spark at 17-1 odds in last start. Look for a fraction of that tonight.
- Chairman Sam… A two-time beaten favorite I his last three. Needs easier trip.
- Slide Lock… Even effort off a perfect trip. Has to raise his game to contend.
- Special Destiny… Bottoms out here after taking some time off. Can win this.
1- Kenyans Shawn… Sparkled in last victory and figures to benefit from the rail slot.
- McLock… Has put together back-to-back solid efforts. Dangerous spot.
- The Fonz… Knocked out coming out of the same race as most of these. Winning record.
- Rocket Dog… Made a rare break but that was in the slop. Look for him to bounce back.
7- Tidewater… Drops coming off a photo loss. Barn is clicking at a high rate.
- Highland Pride A… Tossed a dud but was used hard early. Won big prior to that.
- Suffern’s Z Tam… Led early then took a back seat for good but a solid second.
- Falcatraz… Barn is starting to fire up again. Can’t be ruled out for the win.
1- YZ Two Fifty… Steps up riding a two-race win streak. Has won by a combined five lengths.
- Saratoga John… Back from the East coast fresh off a half mile win for top local barn.
- Big Puff Doggie… Took a shot at the Big M and held his own. Fits better back home.
- Hes A Big Star… Needed last start, his first on lasix. Should improve in this spot.
4- Franco Thunder N… Veteran import keeps pounding out victories. String along.
- ECK… Big try first-over at Maywood. Switch back here should provide a spark.
- Rosanali N… Third or better in five of last six postward. Offers a little value.
- B Tomm… Razor sharp and now aims higher off the claim for new team.
1- Natural Lad N… Last effort was his first in over a month. Primed to win now.
- The Tax Accountant… Starting to get his legs back. Comes off consecutive second places.
- Audience Of One… Quietly putting up big numbers this year. Can’t rule out.
- Bill’s Z Tam… Has three wins from nine starts but not recently. Needs a spark.
1- Winslow Hustler… First time for winning team off the claim. Solid angle.
- My Tractors Sexy… Okay third in a fast mile last week. Figures to stalk up close.
- Western Delight… A beaten chalk last two but tries hard. Needs a good trip.
- Black Bingo… First or second in five straight. Dangerous speed.
2- My Boy David… Top ICF pacer back on local scene after tough Big M campaign.
- Blue Apache… Popped off consecutive wins at this level before coming up sick for last.
- Hot N Sporty… Quietly putting up decent numbers facing similar competition.
2- Secured Risk… Looks to take streak to three. Hike shouldn’t stop him right now.
- Broadway Jake… Overmatched in last and now draws the rail in conducive condition.
- Go Warrior Go… Not as sharp as he used to be but still a threat at this condition.
- Fox Valley Cruiser… Most likely needed last start. Should have a bigger presence.
4- Grouchy Old Man… Gave up too many lengths at the start of last. Rolls sooner.
- Gangsta Rap… Lost a close photo off a perfect trip. In similar scenario.
- Officer Joe… Came back from a big early deficit to finish much improved third.
- OG’s Tony Walton… Drops down to what should be a more competitive level for him.
4- Abe Froeman… Guess in a wide open race. Speed may go all the way here.
- Town Bullet… Was sharp earlier before missing last start. Can’t rule out.
- Walk N Tall… In cheap enough for top team. Looks like a legit threat.
- Like A Miracle… Drops after a needed start. Expecting much improved effort.
6- Mike In Motion… Used hard to the half and weakened late. May handle these.
- Mac Jonathan VP… Steps up with a two-race win streak intact. Likely favorite.
- Yankee Vinny… Strong finisher could be up closer than usual and overtake these.
- Sugar Bear… Bothered in last two. Usually on the scene late with some pace.
4- Crown Time Belief… Won then followed up with even effort but still sharp as ever.
- Sight To Behold… Rail should provide a winning edge over the others in this spot.
- DW… Been popular in the claiming box. Last few have been suggestive.
Best Play: GRAND FREEDOM 1st race
est Value: WINSLOW HUSTLER 8th race
IC 4 KEYS (3-6): 1-4 with 1-4-7 with 1-3 with 1-4-8
llinois OTB Weekend Newsletter