Zenola Seelster snuck under the radar on the weekend. At the Cambridge harness racing workouts on Saturday. He ran 2.39.8 in beating a game Delight Brigade. This was done with aid of galloping pacemakers but he is certainly gearing up for a serious race return.
1) Sushi Sushi impressed beating his stablemate Fly Like An Eagle at Methven workouts on Saturday. He showed no ill-effects of the viral complaint that kept him out of last week's Avon City Ford Cup. The Purdon pair will be joined by Major Mark in the Group 3 Methven Cup this Sunday. Other prominent names nominated for Methven include: Jarcullembra, Zenola Seelster, Donegal Delight, Pure Power, Rangataua Ray and Kotare Yaakov.
2) As expected bumper nominations for Methven this week. You've had an idea of the Methven Cup nominations, 16 in all and another 210 across the other races on the programme. It appears another fantastic Methven raceday will ensue.
3) Don't forget the new rankings come out tomorrow morning. Will Caribbean Blaster move up any? The field he beat wasn't a great one in the Gammalite the other night but at least he is out and winning and proving his fitness. The TAB have brought him into $11 on the Fixed odds, two dollars less than Sir Lincoln.
4) From the Stipes Desk regarding Stunin Cullen - Anthony Butt has spoken to the Stewards regarding the driving tactics he intends to adopt on Stunin Cullen in his upcoming engagements. Anthony Butt explained that due to Stunin Cullen developing a pattern of over-racing once finding the front or racing in an uncovered position he will now, where circumstances permit, look to find cover as early as possible and drive the horse with a sit.
5) Stunin Cullen placed second behind stablemate Choise Achiever at the Rangiora trials today. The pair ran to the line together in a final 400m of 27.0. Last 800m cut out in 55.7 with a sedate overall time of 3.23.7. Other trial winners on the day included Christen Me, Mighty Flying Mac, With Intent and an impressive maiden for Robbie Holmes - Thrill.
6) Pylons at Motukarara - the pylons that created the passing lane at Motukarara were a big hit yesterday. It appears that they will become a permanent fixture of harness racing on the track. The stipes reported very few problems on the day and considered the new passing lane as a catalyst for that.
7) TAB News - Initially a Turbo Quaddie across the two meetings was planned for this Friday but the Meeting Code is not yet available in Jetbet so the $10k Bonus will be added to the normal Addington Quaddie.
Marketing& Commutations Manager