CHAIRMAN OF STEWARDS - HARNESS RACING SA
Harness Racing SA Limited (HRSA) is the Principal Racing Authority under the Rules of Racing and is licensed to administer and regulate harness racing within South Australia. Due to the present appointee returning to New Zealand to accept a position, HRSA invites applications from suitably qualified persons for the position of Chairman of Stewards.
The successful applicant will report to the Chief Executive Officer and the HRSA Board and be responsible for the management and operation of the Stewards’ Department so as to ensure that harness racing in South Australia is conducted efficiently, safely and with the highest level of integrity.
- Provide authoritative policy advice and recommendations to the Board and the CEO on harness racing as required and manage the implementation of policy decisions;
- Administer and regulate harness racing in South Australia in accordance with the Rules of Racing, relevant legislation and directions from the Board or Management;
- Manage the supervision and control of all harness race meetings and official trials conducted within South Australia, including the development and management of sampling strategies;
- Manage or conduct investigations or inquiries into breaches of the Rules of Racing;
- Manage and conduct investigations and non-race day inquiries;
- Manage, prepare and conduct defence proceedings before the Appeals Tribunal;
- Manage staff and the day to day operation of the Stewards’ Department;
- Prepare and manage the Departmental budget and report on variances as required;
- Manage the provision of specialist advice and recommendations to the Board in regard to license applications or renewals;
- Develop and maintain effective working relationships with industry associations, race clubs, officials, industry participants and other bodies, including government, and represent HRSA as required.
The position will require work outside of normal business hours, including weekends and public holidays and significant intrastate and some interstate travel.
Key skills, experience and qualifications:
It is proposed the successful applicant will demonstrate the following skills and qualifications –
- A previous appointment at least at Deputy Chairman of Stewards level or as a Senior Steward in the racing industry, with a comprehensive knowledge of the Rules of Racing.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain the highest levels of integrity and confidentiality.
- An advanced ability to conduct investigations, analyse data and to draw appropriate conclusions.
- An excellent understanding of the principles of natural justice and procedural fairness and their application to the harness racing industry.
- An ability to prepare and conduct proceedings before the Appeals Tribunal.
- Well developed time management, self-management and organisational skills.
- A demonstrated ability to work autonomously, to undertake duties unsupervised and prepare reports within tight timeframes, with a high degree of accuracy.
- An ability to coach, mentor and counsel Stewards and generally progress Stewards’ development.
- Superior written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to consult, motivate and resolve conflict.
- A high level of computer literacy with particular regard to MS Office (specifically Excel) and Word.
- Proven high levels of flexibility and adaptability, including the ability to deal with pressure, ambiguity and change.
The successful applicant will hold, or has the ability to obtain a current South Australian driver’s licence
It is envisaged the successful applicant will be provided an attractive remuneration package, commensurate to their relevant experience. A fully serviced vehicle is also provided.
All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence and emailed to email@example.com. Telephone enquiries are welcome by contacting the Office of the HRSA CEO on 8285 0725.
Applications will be received until 5.00 pm Friday, 18 April 2014
Courtesy of Harness Racing Australia