Day At The Track


05:30 AM 18 Jul 2005 NZST
Comment (...) Tweet Share Email Print
Mike Oosting
Mike Oosting
File Photo

Drivers Dave Magee and Michael Oosting, involved in a terrifying accident on Friday night (July 15) at Hawthorne Racecourse were rushed to Loyola Medical Center.

Due to the nature of the accident, both locally-based ambulances were utilised and races were delayed for about 30 minutes since, according to law, and common sense, ambulances must be present during a race.

Hawthorne is pleased to announce that both Oosting and Magee, though injured, weren’t catastrophically injured.

Both drivers suffered minor concussions.

In addition, Dave Magee had a separation in his right shoulder.

When questioned about the incident, Oosting wasn’t able to remember a lot of what happened.

“I remember Tim’s (Tetrick) horse with a broken hobble. Tim was steering him out of the way but when he reached down to pick up the hobble, the horse stepped on it and turned right into us.

"There was no way for anybody to get out of the way. I kind of remember Dave’s (Magee) horse hitting me in the head and not a lot, for a while, after that.”

Oosting was unconscious for about five minutes. He apparently stood up at one point but just stared at the ground then finally sat back down.

When he woke up he was concerned about his scheduled drive in the following race with Brianna Joy (who won) and tried to get up, telling the paramedics that he was OK and just needed to walk it up.

They told him he wasn’t going anyplace.

It was then that he discovered that he had a neck brace on and was tied to a stretcher.

But, he was conscious on the ride to the hospital and through his emergency room procedeure. He was releashed from the hospital early on Saturday morning.

Oosting returned to driving Saturday night at Balmoral.

However, he did take Sunday night at Hawthorne off and he seldomly drives on Monday but we can expect him back for races on Wednesday night.

We were unable to contact Dave Magee.

However, with the separated shoulder as well as the concussion, he will probably have to undergo some more tests and it could be quite a bit longer before we have him back in the bike.

We wish him well and hope for a speedy recovery.

Courtesy Of Jim Miller, Publicity Director, Hawthorne Racecourse

Comment (...) Tweet Share Email Print

Read More News About...

Stallion Name

Next article: