- All overnight purses for Lobster Carnival Week and Old Home Week will be increased by 10%. This is in addition to the $50 per race purse increase previously put in place for the entire 2014 racing season.
- Key attractions for the feature weeks of P.E.I. racing: the Gold Cup and Saucer, Governors Plate, and Premiers Pace will all have purse increases this year
- Purses for the Trotting Series events at both Summerside Raceway (Andrew Perry Memorial) and Charlottetown Driving Park (Colonel Dan Trot) will be increased
- Purses for the feature week Aged Pacing Mares events at both Summerside Raceway and Charlottetown Driving Park will be increased
- As part of the National Driving Championship which is being held August 26th, 2014 a new Invitational race for Aged Pacers called the Founders Cup will be staged. In addition, based upon available entries, an additional event for regionally owned horses will he held.
" We are thrilled to be able to increase purses for participating horse people at both our tracks for this year's feature weeks," stated Mr. Clark. "The package of initiatives announced today provides a positive impact upon all segments of our industry, and at both our racing facilities."
"The Province of Prince Edward Island is pleased to partner with our Industry Association on this initiative," said Hon. Wes Sheridan, Minister Responsible for Harness Racing." This will further strengthen our feature racing weeks at both our tracks during our year long 2014 celebrations."
For more information contact Tom Clark, PEIHRIA Vice President at 393-3069.
by Lee Drake, for Red Shores