Bankstown Paceway director Megan Lavender is encouraging Australasian harness racing fans to support this year's historic twenty ninth running of the $100,000 M. H. Treuer Memorial Grand Circuit ('Group 1') Pace on Saturday, December 3rd, 2011, at Sydney's harness racing home, Bankstown Paceway.
‘The Treuer Memorial is not only one of the premier pacing events in Australia and New Zealand – and a wonderful night out for the whole family – but, it is a tremendous tradition and tribute to the late Max Treuer (1898-1982) – a visionary Australian of whom we can all be justifiably proud,’ Ms Lavender said.
‘A successful local businessman and bus company founder, an avid sportsman and harness racing enthusiast, and, as a Bankstown councillor, a true champion of the battler, Max was an asset and inspiration to all people,’ she said.
‘Born on a Chullora farm, Max Treuer served as the founding president of Bankstown Paceway and was instrumental in establishing the adjoining licensed club, the Bankstown Trotting Recreation Club.
‘Twenty eight years ago, we honoured Max when the M. H. Treuer Memorial was run for the first time – and that inaugural race, worth just $30,000 back in 1983, was won by one of the Asia Pacific’s all time favourite pacers, Double Agent.
‘As prizemoney reached $100,000, in 1986, Vic Frost partnered True Delight to an upset win, while other Treuer legends adding to the tradition and glamour of this time honoured prestigious Grand Circuit event include champion pacers Village Kid (1987), Westburn Grant (1989) and(1996 and 1997), all of whom also took out both the Inter Dominion and Miracle Mile,’ Ms Lavender added.
The 2011 M. H. Treuer Memorial will be held on Saturday, December 3rd, at the Bankstown Paceway, 178 Eldridge Road, Bankstown, and race night dining packages start from $55, which includes:
- Course entry for Australasian harness racing’s historic grand circuit race night;
- Reserved table seating in the exclusive members stand on the race night;
- Gourmet buffet dinner, including entrée, main, dessert, tea and coffee;
- Spectacular night time view of Bankstown Paceway under lights;
- 2011 M. H. Treuer Memorial limited edition souvenir racebook;
- Cash waiter service for all your beverage requirements;
- Live entertainment and plenty of harness racing action;
- One complimentary beer, wine or soft drink on arrival; and
- Tote betting information and facilities at your fingertips.
ith places on the night strictly limited, phone Bankstown Paceway on 9708 4111 to reserve your seats before they sell out.
Megan J. LAVENDER