We have by now all seen the book that Steve Richardson has set for the 2013 New Zealand Trotting Cup. But does Mark Jones agree?
This week we asked the former World Driving Champion who he would have as the first five favourites if he was the TAB Bookmaker.
- Christen Me – I think Christen Me would be my favourite. He looks the horse to beat on his form last season, and Cran says he is “bigger and better” this season, so he has to be the horse to beat.
- Terror To Love – Would be a close second favourite. He is a great horse who is already proven at the elite level. The trainer knows how to peak him for the big day, and he has one of the best ever driving him. He is proven at two miles and it would be great to see him win three cups in a row.
- Themightyquinn – Would be my third favourite. Hopefully he comes as it would add great interest to the race. The big track will suit him, and if he settles close to the front and does no work, very few horses will match him for speed.
- Mah Sish – I would have Mah Sish installed as fourth favourite. He has already proven himself as a true Grand Circuit performer by winning the Hunter Cup, and in that form he has to be a big danger. He has a fantastic big race trainer who knows how to get horse right on the big day and he is good enough to make his own luck.
- Caribbean Blaster – Is the horse I would have as fifth favourite. He, like Mah Sish, has already proven himself by winning a Victoria Cup and he has good stand start manners to boot. I think the stable would have learnt a lot from last year, and will be very eager to pick up atleast some of the prizemoney this time around.
“Personally, I don’t think the New Zealand Cup has the depth it used to have and each year it seems to be getting worse in that respect.
“With more and more horses chasing the big money at two and three, there seems to be less horses being looked after, and therefore the Free-For-All grade is suffering.
“It is a shame, as it is the great Cup horses that we remember forever.”
By Mitchell Robertson