Harness Racing SA Ltd Stewards conducted an inquiry on 23/01/14 into two reports received from Racing Analytical Services Ltd in relation to urine samples provided by driver Ken Rogers at the SAHRC’s meetings held 04/01/14 and 11/01/14 respectively.
Sample WSSA 39256, which was provided on 04/01/14, was found upon analysis to contain the banned substances d-amphetamine, d-methamphetamine and 11-nor-delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol-9-carboxylic acid (cannabis). Sample 41943, which was provided on 11/01/14 for a clearance for Mr Rogers to resume driving, was found upon analysis to contain the banned substance 11-nor-delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol-9-carboxylic acid (cannabis).
Mr Rogers pleaded guilty to the following charges:
- Under Rule 252 (1) on the grounds that he purported to carry on a licensed activity at the SAHRC’s meeting held at Betezy Park Globe Derby on 04/01/14 by presenting to drive with a drug of abuse in his body.
- Under Rule 250 (1)(a)(adopted 08/01/14) on the grounds that a urine sample taken from him at the SAHRC’s meeting held at Betezy Park Globe Derby on 11/01/14 was found upon analysis to contain the banned substance cannabis.
After considering submissions as to penalty, Mr Rogers’ driver’s licence was suspended for 9 months on each charge, however the Panel ordered that the penalties be served concurrently with the commencement date backdated to 04/01/14 when Mr Rogers was stood down from driving pending the provision of a urine sample which was found upon analysis to not contain any banned substance.
In settling on penalty, the Panel took into consideration:
- Mr Rogers’ guilty pleas;
- The serious nature of the breaches;
- Mr Rogers’ clear record;
- The need to provide a deterrent – both general and specific;
- The need to maintain public confidence in the integrity of the industry.
Stewards further ordered that:
- Mr Rogers undergo rehabilitation in relation to drug use.
- He provides Harness Racing SA Ltd with documentation from a qualified Counsellor that he has successfully completed rehabilitation.
- He provides Harness Racing SA Ltd with clear samples when requested.
Chairman of Stewards
Harness Racing SA